- 3-4 pound boneless chuck roast
- Sutter Buttes Everyday Seasoned Salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Blck pepper to taste
- 2 T Sutter Buttes Arbequina Olive Oil
- 1/4 c water to deglaze the pan
- 2 large onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 cup beef stock, reduced to 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup Sutter Buttes Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
Rub meat with seasoned salt, onion and garlic powder and black pepper. Heat heavy pan with olive oil and brown roast well on all sides. This will take a few minutes, don’t rush the browning step. While roast browns put 1 cup of beef stock in a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, then let cool slightly and mix in balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce. Peel onions and cut into thick slices.
When the meat is brown on all sides, remove the meat then deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup water. Add the pan drippings to the sauce mixture.
Place onions in the bottm of slow cooker. Put meat on onions and pour beef stock mixture over the top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until beef is tender.
Remove meat from slow cooker and cover with foil to keep warm. Drain liquid from slow cooker and remove as much of the fat as you can with a skimmer. Cook down liquid by about 1/3, and serve with meat and onions. Add carrots and potatoes to complete the meal.
Leftovers make great sandwiches!!