Panzanella (Tuscan Bread Salad)
Tuscan bread salad combines vine-ripened tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and basil with
olive oil and vinegar. It is a great way to transform day-old bread into a delicious salad. The bread soaks up the oil and tomato juices. This is an irresistible summer treat.
• 3 Tbsp Sutter Buttes Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 small loaf of French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
• 1 tsp Sutter Buttes Himalayan Sea Salt
• 2 large firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 English cucmber, unpeeled, seeded and sliced into 1/2-inch thick
• 1/2 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
• 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
• 3 Tbsp capers, drained
• handful of Sutter Buttes Salt Cured Dried Black Olives
• 1 tsp garlic, finely minced
• 1/2 tsp Sutter Buttes Chardonnay Mustard
• 3 Tbsp Sutter Buttes Traditional Balsamic or your favorite Sutter Buttes Vinegar
• 1/2 cup Sutter Buttes Arbequina EVOO
• 1/2 tsp Sutter Buttes Himalayan Sea Salt
• 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently for 10 minutes, until nicely browned. Alternatively, warm cut pieces of bread in oven. Add more oil as needed. Whisk together the Vinaigrette ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red, onion, basil and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss
with the vinaigrette. Season liberally
with salt and pepper.
Allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.